Prof Manish Patel
Professor Patel specialises in the treatment of urological cancers. This includes diagnosis, work-up and surgical as well as non-surgical options of treatment. He has an emphasis on minimally invasive approaches, including robotic surgery.
Prostate Cancer: Radical prostatectomy performed robotically as well as open with a special emphasis on nerve preservation. He also specialises in other treatments for prostate cancer such as hormone therapy and is trained in low dose and high dose transperineal brachytherapy treatment and high intensity focused ultrasound therapy.
Bladder Cancer: Full treatment of bladder cancers ranging from tumour resections including the new ERBE hybrid knife technique, intravesical therapies to radical cystectomy. Professor Patel is highly experienced with radical cystectomy and also performs it robotically assisted.
Kidney Cancer: Radical and partial nephrectomy (performed laparoscopically or robotically assisted), open as well as minimally invasive thermal ablation of kidney tumours in selected patients.
Testis Cancer: Workup and management of men with testicular lumps or cancer. Prof Patel is one of a few surgeons who have trained in and specialise in retroperitoneal lymph node dissections – a surgical treatment for testicular cancer.
Penile Cancer: Prof Patel is highly experienced in the management, which ranges from surgery of the penile lesion to inguinal and pelvic lymph node dissection.
Prof Patel is an academic uro-oncologist with a research interest in prostate cancer and bladder cancer. His research papers have been published extensively in many peer reviewed journals and he is regularly invited as a speaker to international urology meetings, the most recent including Hong Kong 2017, London 2017, Busan, Korea 2017, Minneapolis 2017, Kuala Lumpur 2015, Singapore 2014, World Urologic Oncology Federation 2012, Malaysia 2011, Philippines 2010, Singapore 2008 and Vietnam 2007. He has contributed chapters to several books on uro-oncology and has co-authored a book on prostate cancer.
- Clinical Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, Macquarie University, Sydney
- Associate Professor, Discipline of Surgery, Western Clinical School, University of Sydney
- Director: Urological Cancer Research Outcomes Centre, Westmead Hospital
- Specialty Editor: Australian New Zealand Journal of Surgery
- Member: WSLHD clinical trials steering committee
Fast Facts – Prostate Cancer. 5th/6th/7th/8th Edition 2007 – 2013. Health Press. Cambridge U.K.
R.S. Kirby and M.I. Patel
Please click here to know more about Fast Facts: Prostate Cancer Book.
M.I.Patel and P.Sved. Surgery and follow-up for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer.
In “Management of Bladder Cancer”
Springer Science. Editors: BadrinathKonety and Sam Cheng.
M.I.Patel and N. Campbell. Cancer Recurrence following prostatectomy.
In “Prostatectomies: Procedures, Benefits and Potential Complications”.
Nova publishers. Editors: Henrique Maya Alvelos and YaraGrãoIzidoro
M.I. Patel. Diagnostic and management challenges following radical prostatectomy.
In “When Cancer Crosses Disciplines” Imperial Press, London, U.K.. Editors Monica Robotin and Ian Olver
“Prostate cancer and complimentary therapies.”
In: Finger Tip Urology, a web based educational site for urologists on the BJUI web site.
Research Awards: Prof Patel and his Research Team
- Winner of the BAUS trophy (Best scientific presentation at the USANZ ASM) 2015- For Bladder Cancer Research
- 3rd Prize, Best oncology research presentation, American Urological Association Annual Meeting, 2013 SUO meeting.- For Prostate Cancer Research
- Winner of the BAUS trophy (Best scientific presentation at the USANZ ASM) 2007- For Prostate Cancer Research
- Winner of the BAUS trophy (Best scientific presentation at the USANZ ASM) 2006 – For Testicular Cancer Research
Prof Patel chairs and contributes to many committees involved with improving care and cancer outcomes for patients and families affected by urological cancers. Examples include:
- Invited by the Dept of Aging (as an expert in prostate cancer management), to be a member of the Medical Services Advisory Committee, investigating minimally invasive robotic assisted radical prostatectomy
- Invited to evaluate new drugs for the TGA
- Member of ANZUP – a government funded clinical trials group running national trials with urological cancer patient groups.
He also has significant involvement in the development and dissemination of uro-oncology education programs for medical students, urology trainees and patients and is the Urology Editor for the Australia & NZ Journal of Surgery.
- Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- American Urological Association (committee member)
- European Association of Urology
- Society International d’Urologie
- Society of Urologic Oncology
- NSW Urology Oncology Group
- NSW Prostate Clinical Cancer Registry
- Fellow: NSW Cancer Institute
- Urological Cancer Surgeon
- Robotic Surgeon
- Fellowship Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA
- Fellowship of the Society of Urologic Oncologists, USA
- Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (Urology)
- PhD (University of Sydney) on “Novel treatments for prostate cancer”
- MMed (University of Sydney) on “Cell biology”
- MBBS (University of NSW)
- Rutherford C, Costa DS, King MT, Smith DP, Patel MI. A conceptual framework for patient-reported outcomes in non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Support Care Cancer. 2017 (in press)
- Patel MI, Beattie K, Bang A, Gurney H, Smith DP. Cytoreductive nephrectomy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: inequities in access exist despite improved survival. Cancer Med. 2017 (In press).
- McNiel JWH, Michail P, Patel MI, Ashbourne J, Bariol S, Ende D, Hossack T, Lau H, Wang A, Brooks AJ. Semi-Automatic Electronic Stent Register: a novel approach to preventing ureteric stents lost to follow-up. ANZJS. 2017 (in press)
- Mungovan S, Sandu J, Akin O, Smart N, Graham P, Patel MI. Preoperative membranous urethral length measurement and continence recovery following radical prostatectomy: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Urology. 2017; 71(3): 368-378
- Nair-Shalliker V, Yap S, Nunez C, Egger S, Rodger J, Patel MI, O’Connell DL, Sitas F, Armstrong BK, Smith DP. Adult body size, sexual history and adolescent sexual development may predict risk of developing prostate cancer: Results from the New South Wales Lifestyle and Evaluation of Risk Study (CLEAR). Int J Cancer. 2017; 140(3):565-574
- Yue X, Luo Q, Smith D, Clements M, Patel MI, O’Connell D. Phase of care prevalence for prostate cancer in New South Wales, Australia: a population-based retrospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2017; 12(2):e0171013
- Joshy G, Soga K, Korda RJ, Patel MI, Banks E. Factors related to receipt of non-cancer-related transurethral prostatectomy: findings from a large prospective study of 106,769 middle aged and older Australian men. BMJ Open. 2017; 7(2):e013737
- Luo Q, Yu XQ, Smith DP, Goldsbury DE, Cooke-Yarborough C, Patel MI, O’Connell DL. Cancer related hospitalisations and “unknown” stage prostate cancer: a population-based record linkage study. BMJ Open. 2017. 7(1):e014259
- Okullo A, Penkoff P, Patel MI. Laboratory methods cause ultrasensitive prostate specific antigen fluctuations. ANZJS. 2017
- Okullo A, Yuminaga Y, Ziaziaris W, Ende D, Lau H, Patel MI, Brooks A, Bariol S. Comparison of cost of care for tethered versus non-tethered ureteric stents in management of uncomplicated upper urinary tract stones. ANZJS 2017(on-line doi: 10.1111/ans.13945)
- Chang J, Lam V, Patel MI. Pre-operative pelvic floor muscle exercise and post prostatectomy incontinence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur Urology. 2016; 69(3): 460-467
- Patel MI, Yuminaga Y, Bang A, Lawrentschuk N, Skyring T, Smith D. Volume-outcome relationship in penile cancer treatment: a population based patterns of care and outcomes study from Australia. BJUI 2016. 118(S3): 35-42
- Salkeld G, Cunich M, Dowie J, Howard K, Patel MI, Mann G, Lipworth W. The Role of Personalised Choice in Decision Support: A Randomised Controlled Trial of an Online Decision Aid for Prostate Cancer Screening. PLOS One.2016; 11(4): doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0152999
- Gendy R, Delprado W, Brenner P, Brooks A, Coombes G, Cozzi P, Nash P, Patel MI. Repeat transurethral resection for non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: a contemporary series. BJUI (in press)
- Tong A, Lopez-Vargas P,Mallett A, Patel C, Savige J, Patel M, Tchan M, Alexander S, Craig J, Fassett R, Rangan G. Identifying and integrating consumer perspectives in clinical practice guidelines on autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease. Nephrology (in press)
- Ceramagic S, Ahmadi N, Hossack T, Gurney H, Patel MI. Doctor-patient communication: A study of Australian ethnic urological cancer patients . Int J Rights Hum Healthcare (in press)
- Ceramagic S, Ahmadi N, Hossack T, Gurney H, Patel MI. Postive lifestyle changes following urological cancer diagnosis-An Australian interview based study. Int J Rights Hum Healthcare (in press)
- Patel MI, Bang A, Cheluvappa R, Gillett D, Smith DP. Poor Survival Of Females With Bladder Cancer Is Limited To Those Aged 70 Years or Over: A Population-wide Linkage Study, New South Wales (NSW), Australia. (Cancer Medicine- in press
- Patel MI, Bang A, Gillett D, Smith DP. Cystectomy Outcomes In Patients With Invasive Bladder Cancer: A Population Based Study. (BJUI-in press).
- Bolton D, Papa N, Ta A, Millar J, Davidson A, Pederson J, Syme R, Patel MI, Giles G. Predicitors of prostate cancer mortality after radical prostatectomy: 10 year oncologic outcomes from the Victorian Radical Prostatectomy Registry. BJUI (accepted 2/3/15)
- What makes men leak? An investigation of objective and self-report measures of urinary incontinence after radical prostatectomy. A Hirschorn, B Hudje, S Mungovan, MI Patel. Neurourology and urodynamics (in press)
- Men’s preferences and trade-offs for prostate cancer screening: a discrete choice experiment. K Howard, G Salkeld, G Mann, MI Patel. Health Expectations (in press).
- Relationship between Lifestyle and Health Factors and Severe Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS) in 106,435 Middle-Aged and Older Australian Men: Population-Based Study. Smith DP, Weber MF, Soga K, Korda RJ, Tikellis G, Patel MI, Clements MS, Dwyer T, Latz IK, Banks E. PLoS One. 2014 Oct 15;9(10):e109278. doi:
- A comprehensive evaluation of bladder cancer epidemiology and outcomes in Australia. Cheluvappa R, Smith DP, Cerimagic S, Patel MI. Int Urol Nephrol. 2014; 46(7): 1351-60
- Relationships between perioperative physical activity and urinary incontinence after radical prostatectomy: an observational study. Mungovan SF, Huijbers BP, Hirschhorn AD, Patel MI. BMC Urol. 2013 Dec 1;13:67
- Online Prostate Cancer Screening Decision Aid for At-Risk Men: A Randomized Trial. Watts KJ, Meiser B, Wakefield CE, Barratt AL, Howard K, Cheah BC, Mann GJ, Lobb EA, Gaff CL, Patel MI. Health Psychol. 2014; 33(9): 986-97
- Primary treatment of the prostate improves local palliation in men who ultimately develop castrate-resistant prostate cancer. Won AC, Gurney H, Marx G, De Souza P, Patel MI. BJU Int. 2013 Aug;112(4):E250-5. doi: 10.1111/bju.12169
- Risk factors for erectile dysfunction in a cohort of 108 477 Australian men. Weber MF, Smith DP, O’Connell DL, Patel MI, de Souza PL, Sitas F, Banks E. Med J Aust. 2013 Jul 22;199(2):107-11.
- Preoperative pelvic floor physiotherapy improves continence after radical retropubic prostatectomy. Patel MI, Yao J, Hirschhorn AD, Mungovan SF. Int J Urol. 2013 Oct;20(10):986-92.
- Nariman Ahmadi, Warick J Delprado, Andrew J Brooks, Phillip C Brenner, Graham M Coombes, Alexander Grant, Manish I. Patel. A 10-year Histopathological Audit of Radical Cystectomy in a Single Pathology Centre in New South Wales, Australia. In press ANZJS
- Richard L Haddad, Manish I Patel, Philip Vladica, Wassim Kassouf, Frank Bladou, Maurice Anidjar.Percutaneous Radiofrequency Ablation of Small Renal Tumors Using CT-Guidance.A Review and Its Current Role. Urology Journal. 2012. 4( 9): 629
- Baerin B. Houghton, Venu Chalasani, Dickon Hayne, Peter Grimison, Christopher S. B. Brown, Manish I. Patel, Ian D. Davis, Martin R. Stockler. Intravesical chemotherapy plus bacilli Calmette-Guérin in non-muscle invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review with meta-analysis. BJU International. 2013;111(6):977-83
- Isabel Latz, Marianne Weber, Rosemary Korda, David Smith, Mark Clements, Manish Patel, Terry Dwyer, Gabriella Tikellis, Emily Banks. Lower urinary tract symptoms in relation to region of birth in 95,393 men living in Australia: The 45 and Up Study. World J Urol. 2012 Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nariman Ahmadi, Warick J Delprado, Andrew J Brooks, Phillip C Brenner, Graham M Coombes, Alexander Grant, Manish I. Patel.Cancer Identified Incidentally in the Prostate Following Radical Cystoprostatectomy: An Australian Study. ANZJS. 2014; 84(6):473-6
- Hossack T, Patel MI, Huo A, Brenner P, Yuen C, Spernat D, Hayes A, Sutherland R, Delprado W, Steicker P. Location and pathological characteristics of cancers in radical prostatectomy specimens identified by transperineal biopsy compared to trans-rectal biopsy. J Urol. 012 Sep;188(3):781-5
- Howard K, Salkeld GP, Mann GJ, Patel MI, Cunich M, Pignone MP The COMPASs Study: Community Preferences for Prostate cAncer Screening. Protocol for a quantitative preference study. . BMJ Open. 2012 Jan 7;2(1)
- Raj MD, McDonald C, Brooks AJ, Drummond M, Lau HM, Patel MI, Bariol SV, Wang AC, Woo HH. Stopping anticoagulation before TURP does not appear to increase perioperative cardiovascular complications. Urology. 2011 Dec;78(6):1380-4.
- Latz I, Weber M, Korda R, Smith D, Clements M, Patel M, Dwyer T, Tikellis G, Banks E. Lower urinary tract symptoms in relation to region of birth in 95,393 men living in Australia: the 45 and Up Study. World J Urol. 2012 Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jeffery NN, Douek N, Guo DY, Patel MI. Discrepancy between radiological and pathological size of renal masses. BMC Urol. 2011 Feb 22;11:2.
- Yu XQ, Smith DP, Clements MS, Patel MI, O’Connell D. Projecting prevalence by stage of care for prostate cancer and estimating future health service needs: protocol for a modelling studyBMJ Open 2011;1(1)
- Patel MI, Spernat D, Lopez-Corona E.Hydrodissection of neurovascular bundles during open radical prostatectomy improves postoperative potency.J Urol. 2011 Jul;186(1):233-7
- Wakefield CE, Watts KJ, Meiser B, Sansom-Daly U, Barratt A, Mann GJ, Lobb EA, Gaff CL, Howard K, Patel MI. Development and pilot testing of an online screening decision aid for men with a family history of prostate cancer.Patient Educ Couns. 2011 Apr;83(1):64-72.
- Shagun Aggarwal,Howard M H Lau, Andrew J Brooks,Simon V Bariol, Malcolm Drummond,Manish I Patel,David Ende,Audrey C. Wang,Henry H Woo. The Efficacy of a Manual Database System for Tracking Ureteric Stent Placement and Removal . UroToday Int J. 2011 Apr;4(2):art 23.
- Duoek N,Guo D, Haddad R, Vladica P, Lau H, Woo H, , Bariol S, Drummond M, Brooks AJ, Patel MI. Renal Cell Carcinoma: Stage, Grade and Histology Migration over the Last 15 Years in a Large Australian Surgical Series. BJUI. 2011 May;107(9):1381-5.
- Niknami M, Vignarajan S, Yao M, Hua S, Witting P, Kita Y, Shimizu K, Sved P, Patel MI, Dong Q. Decrease in Expression or Activity of Cytosolic Phospholipase A2α Increases Cyclooxygenase-1 Action: A Cross-talk between Key Enzymes in Arachidonic Acid Pathway in Prostate Cancer Cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010 1801(7):731-7
- Rabbani F, Ramasamy R, Patel MI , Cozzi P, Disa JJ, Cordeiro PG, Mehrara BJ, Eastham JA, Scardino PT, Mulhall JP. Predictors of recovery of erectile function after unilateral cavernous nerve graft reconstruction at radical retropubic prostatectomy. J Sex Med. 2010 Jan;7(1 Pt 1):166-81.
- Howard K, Barratt A, Mann GJ, Patel MI. A model of prostate-specific antigen screening outcomes for low- to high-risk men: information to support informed choices. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Sep 28;169(17):1603-10.
- Rabbani F, Patel M, Cozzi P., Mulhall JP, Scardino PT. Recovery of erectile function after radical prostatectomy is quantitatively related to the response to intraoperative cavernous nerve stimulation. BJU Int. 2009 Nov;104(9):1252-7.
- Richards A, Dong Q, Patel MI.Prolonging androgen sensitivity in prostate cancer- a case for COX inhibitors?ANZ J Surg. 2009 Sep;79(9):641-7.
- Hovey E, Marx G, Kneebone A, Patel MI, Shapiro J. An Australian clinical perspective: Management of hormone-refractory (androgen-independent) prostate cancer. Asia Pacific Journal of Oncology & Hematology (In Press)
- Patel MI, Singh J, Niknami M, Kurek C, Yao M, Lu S, Maclean F, King NJ, Gelb MH, Scott KF, Russell PJ, Boulas J, Dong Q. Cytosolic phospholipase A2-alpha: a potential therapeutic target for prostate cancer.Clin Cancer Res. 2008 Dec 15;14(24):8070-9.
- Hayden A, Smith D, Patel MI, O’Connell D. Patterns of surgical care for prostate cancer in NSW, 1993-2002: rural/urban and socioeconomic variation. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008 Oct;32(5):417-20.
- Wakefield C, Meiser B, Gaff L, Barrett A, Patel MI, Suthers G, Lobb E, Ramsey J, Mann G. Issues faced by unaffected men with a family history of prostate cancer: A multidisciplinary overview. J Urol. 2008 Jul;180(1):38-46
- Patel MI, Kurek C, Dong Q. The arachidonic acid pathway and its role in prostate cancer development and progression.J Urol. 2008 May;179(5):1668-75
- Niknami M, Patel M, Witting PK, Dong Q. Molecules in focus: Cytosolic phospholipase A(2)-alpha.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2009 May;41(5):994- 2008
- Niknami M, Patel MI, Whitting P, Dong Q. Aberrant activation of arachidonic acid and eicosanoid pathways- targets for treating prostate cancer. Recent patents on endocrine, metabolic and immune drug discovery. 2008 1(2): 9-15
- Sabharwal R, Vladica P, Law WP, Lau H, Patel M. Multidetector spiral CT renal angiography in the diagnosis of giant renal artery aneurysms. Abdom Imaging. 2007 Jan-Feb;32(1):17-20.4. Secin FP, Koppie TM, Scardino PT, Eastham JA,
- Patel M, Bianco FJ, Tal R, Mulhall J, Disa JJ, Cordeiro PG, Rabbani F. Bilateral cavernous nerve interposition grafting during radical retropubic prostatectomy: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center experience. J Urol. 2007 Feb;177(2):664-8.
- Dong Q, Patel M, Scott KF, Graham GG, Russell PJ, Sved P. Oncogenic action of phospholipase A2 in prostate cancer.Cancer Lett. 2006 Aug 18;240(1):9-16.
- Patel MI, Tuckerman R, Dong Q. A Pitfall of the 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-5(3-carboxymethonyphenol)-2-(4-sulfophenyl)-2H-tetrazolium (MTS) assay due to evaporation in wells on the edge of a 96 well plate. Biotechnol Lett. 2005 Jun;27(11):805-8
- Patel MI, Subbaramaiah K, Du B, Chang M, Yang P, Newman RA, Cordon-Cardo C, Thaler HT, Dannenberg AJ. Celecoxib inhibits prostate cancer growth: evidence of a cyclooxygenase-2-independent mechanism. Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Mar 1;11(5):1999-2007.
- Patel MI, DeConcini D, Lopez-corona E, Ohori M, Scardino P. An analysis of men with clinically localised prostate cancer who defer therapy.J Urol. 2004 Apr;171(4):1520-4.
- Beck SD, Patel MI, Snyder ME, Kattan MW, Motzer RJ, Reuter VE, Russo P. Effect of papillary and chromophobe cell type on disease-freesurvival after nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2004; 11: 71-77
- Beck SD, Patel MI, Sheinfeld J. Tumor marker levels in post-chemotherapy cystic masses: clinical implications for patients with germ cell tumors.J Urol. 2004 Jan;171(1):168-71.
- Patel MI, Sheinfeld J. Management of recurrence and follow-up strategies for patients with seminoma and selected high-risk groups. Urol Clin North Am. 2003 Nov;30(4):803-17.
- Patel MI, Simmons R, Kattan M, Motzer R, Reuter V, Russo P. Long-term follow up of bilateral sporadic renal tumors. Urology. 2003; 61: 921-925
- Patel MI, Watts W, Grant A. The optimal method of bladder drainage for patieants with acute retention prior to TURP. BJUI. 2001; 88: 26-9
- Patel MI, Han S, Saalfeld J, Vaux K, Alexander HA. The economic cost savings of spiral computed tomography for the diagnosis of renal colic. Aust N Z J Surg.2000; 70:39-42
- Hardman DT, Patel MI, Delbridge L. Teaching normal physical examination in a large group interactive using artists’ models. Aust N Z J Surg. 1997; 67: 468-71
- Patel MI, Melrose J, Ghosh P, Appleberg M. Increased synthesis of matrix metalloproteinases by aortic smooth muscle cells is implicated in the aetiopathogenesis of abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg. 1996; 24: 82-92
- Hardman DT, Fisher CM, Patel MI, Neale M, Chambers J, Lane R, Appleberg M. Ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: who should be offered surgery? J Vasc Surg. 1996; 23: 123-129
- Patel MI, Hardman DTA, Nicholls D, Fisher CM, Appleberg M. The incidence of deep venous thrombosis after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Med J Aust. 1996; 164: 652-654
- Patel MI, Ghosh P, Melrose J, Appleberg M. Smooth muscle migration and proliferation is enhanced in abdominal aortic aneurysms. Aust N Z J Surg. 1996; 66: 305-308
- Patel MI, Smart D. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in patients with previous abdominal surgery- a new position for the insertion of the Hasson cannula.Aust N Z J Surg. 1996; 66: 309-311
- Melrose J, Ghosh P, Patel MI.The use of biotin labelled avidin in the detection of serine proteases. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 1995; 27: 891-904
- Patel MI, Hardman DTA, Fisher CM, Appleberg M. Current views on the pathogenesis of abdominal aortic aneurysms . J AM Coll Surg. 1995; 181: 371-382
- Hardman DTA, Patel MI, Fisher CM, Appleberg M. The day only experience with varicose vein surgery.Aust N Z J Surg. 1995; 65: 475-479
- Patel MI, Hardman DT, Fisher CM, Lane R, Appleberg M. The economic cost of elective carotid endarterectomy.Aust N Z J Surg. 1995. 65: 475-479
- Patel MI, Katelaris PM. Indications for laparoscopic pelvic lymphadenectomy for the staging of prostate cancer.Aust N Z J Surg.1995; 65: 233-236
- Patel MI, Hardman D. Postoperative adrenal haemorrhage complicating a multifactorial coagulopathy.Med J Aust. 1995 Aug 7;163(3):161, 164.
- Patel MI.Case report of a spontaneous ruptured malarial spleen.Med J Aust. 1993; 159: 836-7